anyone use a iMac?

All Posts

1 2 3
>
Forum IndexClown Hall

#1: anyone use a iMac? Author: Saevar , Location: Seattle USA Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 06:00 PM
    ----
I am thinking about buying a iMac and wondered if anyone uses one.

Can I still play all the games?

Any opinions from the computer gurus?

#2: anyone use a iMac? Author: Gloom , Location: Clown Town Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 08:01 PM
    ----
iMac? McDonalds going cyberspace?

ps. Obviously I have no clue Razz

#3: anyone use a iMac? Author: Haegl Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 09:16 PM
    ----
Lutze is the worshipper of that altar.

#4: anyone use a iMac? Author: Adenas , Location: The Tame South Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 07:43 AM
    ----
My opinions of Mac-based gaming can be summed up by the following video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk8hxjpnUiw

#5: Re: anyone use a iMac? Author: Mithras Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 08:11 AM
    ----
LOL Adenas

#6: anyone use a iMac? Author: Lutze , Location: New Brighton, Cheshire. UK Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 08:31 AM
    ----
I currently play wow on a 2ghz dual core 20" iMac

It's a very solid machine - will take 2gig of ram (and it's quite cheap at the moment to do that - though not from Apple!)

The current models are 2.33ghz core 2 duo. And they are said to be a reasonable performance increase of my model. However... the rumour mill has been going nuts recently and everyone is pointing to a new iMac in August.

Whatever happens I'd wait because in October the new Mac OS comes and it will be bundled with any new machine. If you can't wait for that long it's not a major expense (129$)

#7: anyone use a iMac? Author: Lutze , Location: New Brighton, Cheshire. UK Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 08:34 AM
    ----
As for playing games:

The biggest issue you will have, if you enjoy using a Mac, is that you can very simply put Windows Vista or XP on it - Apple provide the software to do it - well apart from a copy of Windows of course!

How is that a problem? Well once you've used OS X you get used to how it works and how simple things are. XP or Vista looks and feels clumsy afterwards. I have to use XP in my office and the crappy way it does things really annoys me.

#8: anyone use a iMac? Author: Adenas , Location: The Tame South Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 08:37 AM
    ----
Seriously Saevar, I'd get a PC - they're cheaper and have more games for them. Blizzard's support for Macs is good but most game developers don't really support the platform.

The one downside is you need to run Windoze to play most PC games. Linux can play some through Wine/Cedega, but I think it requires a bit of know-how and tweaking. Slin and Morri are the experts around here.

Still if you like the shiny boxes, only play a few games and don't mind paying a premium, by all means try Macs. MacOS is very nice and the hardware is generally solid.

#9: anyone use a iMac? Author: Adenas , Location: The Tame South Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 08:40 AM
    ----
And Lutze's suggestion of getting a mac and putting Windows on it - well that way you'll pay a fortune as you'll pay a premium on the components and have to keep swapping operating systems. If you're gonna do that may as well just buy the PC, the components will be the same (Macs switched to Intel components recently - prior to this they used their own so were incompatible) and Windoze can do everything MacOS does even if it is a slightly weaker product.

#10: anyone use a iMac? Author: Lutze , Location: New Brighton, Cheshire. UK Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 08:43 AM
    ----
*sigh*

EA and id. have signed up to release new software at the same time on mac os x.

I think they are fairly big companies. As I pointed out in earlier post - you can game on a mac. But you can also swap to Windoze on a Mac if you really must.

Take a look at things before you bash them.

#11: anyone use a iMac? Author: Lutze , Location: New Brighton, Cheshire. UK Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 08:46 AM
    ----
Ohhh so macs cost more than a pc?

WRONG.

I suggest you go to Dells website and price up a top spec PC laptop. Then compare the spec with a Macbook pro.

You'll find that they come in at very close to the same price. And then notice that the shiny mac system is lighter and a dam site better set up. Every time I look at PC laptops it makes me want to cry. How the hell can you charge so much for something so FUGLY.

Yes Mac products look nicer. If you don't think so then I don't want to meet your girlfriend. Razz

#12: anyone use a iMac? Author: Adenas , Location: The Tame South Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 08:50 AM
    ----
Mac fans are so touchy! Razz

Saevar, there's a bit of an idealogical thing around this topic, so my advice would be to read up a bit around it Smile

Lutze, EA and id produce a small proportion of the games released annually for the PC. You could dual-boot Windows and MacOS on a Mac, but if you're gonna do that you may as well dual-boot Windows and Linux/BSD on standard PC components - as it would be a hell of a lot cheaper and you'd get most of the benefits.

#13: Re: anyone use a iMac? Author: Adenas , Location: The Tame South Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 08:53 AM
    ----
Lutze wrote:
I suggest you go to Dells website and price up a top spec PC laptop. Then compare the spec with a Macbook pro.

At the top end of the market there's probably some parity. That's 'cos both companies (Dell and Apple) put a large premium on products at the top end of the market. Dell put less of a premium on products at the bottom-to-middle end of the market, so generally you'll find that a Mac at that level is more expensive than an equivilently-specced PC.

#14: anyone use a iMac? Author: Lutze , Location: New Brighton, Cheshire. UK Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 09:11 AM
    ----
Yes mac users do tend to be a bit touchy.

It really ticks me off when windows users get all smug about having a huge noisy virus ridden pc hidden in a corner of their spare room.

Most people these days want their consumer goods that cost lots of cash to actually look reasonable.

The latest line of iMac's (yes.. the ones they may be about to replace) are an all in one item - mine has a 20" widescreen. It's a little over 2 inches deep. My whole computer takes up a similar footprint to most peoples monitor.

If space is a premium and you need something that won't look grim as hell and you are old enough to realise that a modded case with 6 fans and LED's all over the place in your livingroom looks naff... a Mac is simply a nicer option.

#15: anyone use a iMac? Author: Lightrunner , Location: Under a cork tree Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 09:27 AM
    ----
I had a mac once...... lost the little hat that came with it though and I never tried the welly boots on........ it's a shoe thing

Forum IndexClown Hall

1 2 3
>
Page 1 of 3